Vectra 3D Frequently Asked Questions
(CALL 608-786-0230 IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS!)
Ø Why does WSVC now carry ONLY Vectra 3D?
Vectra 3D REPELLS fleas and ticks better than any other product available (Frontline Plus® does not repel at all). If fleas or ticks get on the animal, they are KILLED faster than with any other product. WE DO NOT WANT TO TREAT LYME DISEASE AND OTHER TICK AND FLEA BORNE DISEASES; WE WANT TO PREVENT THEM AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. VECTRA 3D IS THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE FOR YOUR DOG.
Ø What are the active ingredients in Vectra 3D
- Dinotefuran is the quick kill flea product.
- Pyriproxyfen is a photo stable IGR. It will not break down like s-methoprene. It will halt development of larva, pupa, and egg. (i.e. It will prevent hatching!)
- For every flea seen, there are 10 eggs, 7 larvae (like maggots!) and 2 pupae.
- Permethrin adds repellency; repels and kills ticks, black flies, deer flies, mosquitoes and cheyletiella mites for 4 weeks! (Vectra 3D does not repel or kill demodex or sarcoptes—they burrow down too fast.)
Ø Can I use Vectra 3D on my cats?
NO! VECTRA 3D IS NOT FOR CATS! CATS ARE FREQUENT GROOMERS AND IF THEY INGEST PERMETRHIN, WHICH IS ONE OF THE ACTIVE INGREDIENTS IN THIS PRODUCT, WHEN IT IS WET, IT CAN BE FATAL. PERMETHRIN IS FOUND IN MULTIPLE FLEA AND TICK PRODUCTS INCLUDING VECTRA 3D and ADVANTIX. Vectra 3D has a lower percentage of Permethrin than Advantix and other flea and tick products on the market. The US Military has been using Permethrin to treat combat uniforms for over 20 years to protect soldiers from diseases carried by insects. It is very safe when used as directed but it is NOT FOR CATS!
Ø Will my dog get sick if he licks the Vectra 3D?
If a dog ingests the product when wet, he may foam at the mouth or have mild GI upset. Ingesting Vectra 3D is not fatal in dogs. There is no problem if the product is licked when dry.
Ø Can I still use Vectra 3D on my dog if I have cats in the house?
Yes. Keep your dog and cat separated for 2-6 hours, which is the time it takes for Vectra 3D to dry. You and your children also want to avoid petting your dog until the product is dry. It works well to apply the product at night before bedtime or to kennel the dog for 2-6 hours after applying.
Ø Does a flea or tick have to bite my dog to die?
No. Fleas and ticks (vectors) are killed on contact with a dog treated with Vectra 3D. Vectra 3D is not a magic bubble, however! Vectors will land, but 99.9% of vectors do not bite before they die!
Ø How fast will fleas be killed after applying Vectra 3D?
Fleas are repelled by Permethrin in Vectra 3D, but those that might get on the dog are killed quickly with Dinotefuran: 68% of fleas die within 2 hours; 100% within 6 hours. The fleas also feed less—this may reduce the likelihood of irritation, anemia, flea allergy dermatitis, and transmission of vector-borne diseases. Pyriproxyfen is an insect growth regulator (IGR) that controls all immature flea stages to prevent infestations in your home. It does not break down in sunlight as other IGRs do.
Ø How fast will ticks be killed after applying Vectra 3D?
It takes 24-48 hours to kill ticks, but most are killed more rapidly. Within 2 days of application 100% of ticks are repelled for up to 1 month. With continual application, they will be repelled continually. If you see ticks moving on a dog treated with Vectra 3D they are zombie ticks:”Dead ticks walking”.
Ø How often do you apply Vectra 3D?
Apply Vectra 3D once monthly.
Ø What if I accidently apply Vectra 3D more frequently?
There is wide margin of safety if Vectra 3D is accidentally applied more frequently.
Ø What if my dog swims or is in the water daily?
When you start to see a breakthrough in mosquito repellency, reapply. This may be at 3-3.5 weeks.
Ø What if I bathe my dog?
You can bathe your dog and then apply the Vectra 3D as soon as the dog dries. If you apply first, wait 2-6 hours for the product to dry before you bathe your dog. Dogs can be bathed up to once a week and Vectra 3D will remain effective.
Ø What if I bathe my dog with a medicated shampoo for a skin condition?
Vectra 3D can be removed from the dog with a degreasing shampoo. If you are using a medicated shampoo on your dog for a skin issue, consult with your veterinarian for the frequency of reapplication of Vectra 3D. Because Vectra 3D can be removed with a degreasing product, If you need to remove Vectra 3D, Dawn Dish Soap can be used safely. Rinse well.
Ø How does Vectra 3D stay on my dog?
Vectra 3D is formulated with several bioadhesives that essentially glue the active ingredients to the skin. One of the bioadhesives is actually used in ‘permanent’ long wearing lip color for women, another is found in children’s waterproof sunscreen. The product moves across the skin and adheres with the bioadhesives so that it will not wash off. There is no oil, so there is no oily residue. If you see a ‘shine’ on the hair coat where applied, you are seeing the bioadhesive.
Ø Will there be any adverse reaction when I use Vectra 3D on my dog?
VECTRA 3D HAS THE LOWEST PERCENTAGE OF REACTIONS OF ANY TOPICAL FLEA AND TICK CONTROL PRODUCT ON THE MARKET, INCLUDING FRONTLINE PLUS®AND ADVANTIX® The most common adverse reaction is a tingly sensation on the skin where the product is applied. Oftentimes subsequent applications are not as bothersome as the initial ‘funny feeling’. FOLLOW THE APPLICATION DIRECTIONS ON THE LAST PAGE OF THIS HANDOUT. Again: Oftentimes subsequent applications are not as bothersome. CALL WITH CONCERNS. It is better to deal with a little irritation than to deal with insect borne diseases such as Lyme disease and anaplasmosis! (If you need to remove the product, see the "medicated shampoo" question above.)
Ø What if my dog rolls in the dirt after I just applied Vectra 3D?
Allow the product to dry and then brush out the dirt. The product will still be effective.
Ø Can Vectra 3D be used on pregnant and nursing dogs?
Unfortunately, Vectra 3D has not been tested in safety studies in pregnant and nursing bitches. However, knowing the active ingredients in Vectra 3D, West Salem Veterinary Clinic recommends its use, off label, in pregnant and nursing bitches. The use of the bioadhesive in Vectra 3D provides for minimal spread to puppies, but it does occur to some extent. The safety margin of the active ingredients is exceptional.
APPLYING VECTRA 3D
1. OPEN THE TUBE AS DIRECTED
2. REMOVE YOUR DOG’S COLLAR FOR 2-6 HOURS (UNTIL PRODUCT IS DRY) to allow the product to spread properly.
3. FOR DOGS UNDER 35#--STARTING A FEW INCHES BEHIND THE SHOULDER BLADES, PUSH THE APPLICATOR TIP DOWN TO THE SKIN AND SQUEEZE THE TUBE WHILE YOU STRIPE THE PRODUCT UP TO THE NECK. (Back to front--this is the opposite direction as described in some of the packaging.) THE TUBE WILL COLLAPSE AS IT EMPTIES. DISTRACT YOUR DOG WITH A TOY OR TREATS WHILE APPLYING AND FOR A WHILE AFTER APPLICATION IF YOUR DOG SEEMS TO FEEL ‘TINGLY’.
4. FOR DOGS OVER 35#-- PLACE 1 DROP (DOWN TO THE SKIN) BEHIND EACH EAR. STARTING AT THE BASE OF THE TAIL, PUSH THE APPLICATOR TIP DOWN TO THE SKIN AND SQUEEZE THE TUBE WHILE YOU STRIPE THE PRODUCT UP TO THE NECK. (This is the opposite direction as described in the packaging.) THE TUBE WILL COLLAPSE AS IT EMPTIES. DISTRACT YOUR DOG WITH A TOY OR TREATS WHILE APPLYING AND FOR A WHILE AFTER APPLICATION IF YOUR DOG SEEMS TO FEEL ‘TINGLY’.
5. DISPOSE OF TUBE IMMEDIATELY WHEN EMPTY. THE BIOADHESIVES MAY REACT WITH WOOD FINISH, THEREFORE DO NOT GET THE PRODUCT ON ANY FURNITURE. (THIS WARNING SHOULD CAUSE NO ALARM. VECTRA 3D IS EXTREMELY SAFE FOR YOUR PET. THIS RECOMMENDATION IS SIMILAR TO THAT FOR FINGERNAIL POLISH REMOVER—IT IS SAFE FOR YOU, NOT FOR YOUR FURNITURE!)
6. FOR THE 95# SIZE, 1 TUBE IS PROTECTIVE FOR UP TO 240#